The Dubai Government is very considerate towards disabled drivers and offers them support in every way.
Disabled Driver Training
Emirates Driving Institute had started the new facility to enable the training of disabled drivers. This course would make them attend the same level of training and they would also have to pass the same examinations to get a driving licence. This is done to make them confident of themselves on the road.
EDI has two modified cars and specially trained instructors. EDI has teamed up with Swedish experts Swed Adaptations, also know as Anpassarna, who have 40 years of experience in adapting vehicles for the physically disabled.
- Original Medical Report from Rashid Hospital
- RTA approval document
- NOC from sponsor
- 2 Passport copies
- Emirates ID card or a copy or a Receipt of ID Card transaction
- 5 Passport size photographs
- Original computerized card license (only if you are a holder of a driving license from your country)
To get the Medical Report from Rashid Hospital, please contact the reception of PMR (The Physical, Medicine and Rehabilitation Department – PMR) Department (contact number : 04-2192551 between 8.00am – 2.00 p.m). Please book an appointment as the assessment takes place only on Tuesdays.
- Booking an Appointment-AED 250
- Issuance of medical report- AED260
- Issuing Health card if not got previously-AED 360
The EDI will get the RTA approval for the applicant and then contact him/her for registration.he student will be registered for classes and the test to obtain UAE driving license.
Contact Person at EDI
Ms. Vilpa Nayak – Tel. No. 00971 4 263 11 00 Ext. 476.
After passing the test, once they get the license, they can go to the RTA office and apply for the special parking permit.
Different types of stickers
There are four different stickers available for the use of disabled people.
- Blue for Permanent disablility, valid for three years
- Red for Temporary Disablility, valid for one to six years
- Green card for Transporting disabled people (for vehicles belonging to special needs organizations). Valid for one year
- Yellow card for Visitors and tourists with disabilities . valid during the length of their visit in UAE.
Procedure followed to get the special parking permit
- The person applying should, in person, submit an attested medical report, obtained from Rashid hospital, at the Front desk of the RTA Deira Traffic Department (Al Ittihad Branch). This will help the RTA authorities to determine the kind of disability.
- Along with the medical report, the driving license of the car owner (first degree relative/the applicant) and the car registration documents are also to be submitted.
- After the verification of documents at the Front desk, the person will be directed to the Driver’s Licensing manager, Director of Licensing Department and Assistant Director.
- Once they are convinced that the identity and documents of the applicant are genuine, the suitable card will be issued by a data entry officer.
- Tourists and visitors must get their medical reports attested by their own embassy/consulate before submission to the RTA.
For further reading and information, please check out the following link;
RTA Call centre number for any aid : 8009090