Fishing is a favourite activity for many people in Dubai and fishing season runs from October to late May. The best time to fish is early morning or about three hours before dusk because the fish go deep into the sea, as the water begins to get hot on the beach.
The most important thing about fishing in Dubai, which many of us don’t know is, you need to get a license for recreational hook-line fishing in Dubai.Otherwise, you will get fined.
You can apply for it online and it is FREE.It is valid for a year and is only given to residents of the UAE. There are also short-term licenses for tourists.
- Visit Dubai Municipality Website.
- Register and log on to the website.
- Go to Services -Individual Services – Environment – WildLife, Fish Resources – Request for Recreational Fishing License (string and hooks)
- Click Run service at the bottom of the page.( Please note to install java to run this service).
- Click Request for the fishing license. Fill up the form and follow the guidelines.
- You will receive approve/reject notification from DM within three working days which can be tracked online.
- Once approved go to the Marine Environment& Wildlife Section in DM Environment Department with the copy of the application and get the printed license on the spot.
- Passport copy (with residency for non-local)
- High-resolution personal photo
- Boat license (to request recreational fishing using boats)
** Additional documents required from non-local residents:
- Prove of residency in Dubai: (Tenancy contract/ownership certificate)
- DEWA Electricity bill
- Job contract and Official Letter (if establishment provides accommodation).
- Labor card /work permit (to request recreational fishing using thread and hooks)
Points to be noted :
- You are not allowed to catch crabs, squids,mussels & juvenile fishes.Please check your license for more info.
- A Dubai license only grants you permission to fish in Dubai, and not the rest of the UAE.
- Fishing is prohibited in certain areas in Dubai, like shipping/port areas, swimming beaches etc.
Good spots for fishing in Dubai
- Dubai Creek, beyond Jebel Ali Free Zone is known to have Kingfish and Hammour
- Dibba, near the Maktoum Bridge
- East Coast, known for Dorado, a Kingfish or a Queen Mackerel.
There are many fishing tour companies in Dubai that offers very good tour packages with lots of fun activities like deep sea fishing, BBQ, cooking the catch etc.