Do you travel a lot??Do you want to drive in a foreign country?? Then, all UAE travellers are advised to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) from the Automobile and Touring Club of UAE (ATCUAE).
The main concern of the motorists traveling in foreign countries is the varying drivers license requirements in each country. Nowadays, many countries allow visitors to use their domestic driving licenses when traveling abroad but this can lead to language problems. In order to overcome these difficulties, IDPs were established by United Nations in 1949 & 1968.
- proof that the person has a valid driving license in their own country
- printed in ten languages – the five United Nations official languages, English, French, Spanish, Russian and Chinese, as well as German, Arabic, Italian,the Scandinavian languages and Portuguese. This helps overcome language barriers between drivers and police.
- the document can also be a useful form of identification in the event of a lost passport.
UAE residents holding a valid Dubai driving license currently are eligible to apply for the one year international driving permit in Dubai.
- A copy of passport (valid residence visa for expatriates)
- A copy of valid UAE driving license
- Two passport size photographs
Where to avail the service:
International Driving Permits are available in the UAE from
- ATCUAE offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai & Sharjah
- Emirates Post Offices across the country
- the offices of the Roads and Transport Authority in Dubai
- other ATCUAE agents.