Domestic helpers are always a blessing to a family. Getting an efficient and reliable housemaid is indeed, a dream come true for many women, especially for those who have to struggle between their careers and managing household duties. There are also cleaning services in Dubai which can help you out. But mostly everyone prefer to hire a maid. Hiring a maid in Dubai is quite a procedure. There are many legal implications to consider while hiring a maid. You cannot just hire any local person to help you with your household duties. In most cases, you have to sponsor your maid.
Methods to employ a maid
Using the services of a maid agency
This is the most common and preferred method of hiring domestic help. Maid agencies provide maids according to your choice. It can be a full time or part time arrangement. Most house maid agency also provide live- in maids or full time maid. Choosing help from a reputed agency will save you the trouble of going through all the paperwork and legal formalities yourself. Also you will have the advantage of getting more reliable maids. If you are not satisfied with her work, the agency can always exchange maids.
It is possible to search for a maid on your own. However you must make sure that you are following all the instructions from the Dubai??s Department of Naturalisation and Residency Department (DNRD). They have laid specific guidelines regarding the sponsorship of domestic help. Please follow the link below to know more about the procedures of sponsoring a maid.
Placing advertisements in regional newspapers and magazines also help you obtain maids in UAE. The important point here also is to make sure that the legal procedures are completed. You should carefully interview the candidates , making sure to ask them about their sponsor, if he is ready to release them and all other legal aspects. Please cross check and verify if they are telling the truth.
Remember that the illegal hiring of maid in UAE, i.e., without DNRD approval, may result in fines of up to Dhs70,000, as well as imprisonment for one month, followed by the deportation of the employer.
While choosing any of the above methods, the points to be considered are;
- Sign the unified employment contract- It states all the terms and conditions for the domestic help.
- Verify all the paperwork-make sure all identification and qualification papers are genuine.
- Get required recommendations from previous employers ?? Clarify any gap in employment and the reasons.
- Verify if all legal procedures are complete- Cross check all legal complications.
Countries from where you can hire maids legally, as approved by the Dubai Government
Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, Ethiopia, Bangladesh and the Philippines
Salary rates for different countries
Minimum wages have been set by the embassies of the workers
- An Indian maid minimum salary is Dhs1,100 per month
- Filipina maid should be paid a minimum of Dhs1,400
- Sri Lankan maid requires a minimum of Dhs825
- Indonesian maids minimum pay is Dhs800
- Bangladesh asks for Dhs750 for its nationals
- Ethiopia has not set any standard minimum till now.
Approximate Costs involved
For a full time, live in maid – 600 AED – 800 AED per month
For a full time maids who doesn??t live with you – between 900 AED – 1300 AED per month
For a part time maid from a Dubai maid agency – Roughly 25 AED per hour
Please check the DNRD link given at the end to know about the additional costs to be paid to the government etc.
Precautions you can take after hiring a new house maid in Dubai
- Arrange for you or your spouse to coming home unexpectedly
- Asking reliable neighbours to pop in every now and again.
- Regularly calling home.
- Leaving a mini cassette recorder hidden in the house. Even if it is only audio media tapes, a few recordings will give you an excellent idea of how the maid behaves with the child in your absence.
- You can also fit a spy camera.
Documents to renew your maid
If you are happy with the housemaid in Dubai and wish to keep her after her contract has expired, you can always renew her contract.
- Residence Form filled in Arabic except for her name which must be in both English and Arabic.
- Letter of “No Objection” from the sponsor
- 4 passport photos
- Your passport
- Your maid’s passport
- Your maid’s labour card
- Your maid’s Medical certificate (this also has a photo on it).
- Dhs 5200 approximately.
- Contact must be signed by you and your maid at Immigration.
Tips to make your maid feel at home;
You need to make sure your maid, especially if she is a full time maid in Dubai, feels at home at your place. Remember that she has left her country and dear ones to earn a living, so treat her like a human and spend time to make sure she is comfortable. Maids tend to give back the treatment they receive, so small gestures of kindness on your part would keep her happy and encourage her to take care of your home well.
List of popular maid agencies Dubai
Busy bees Dubai
They offer cleaning service and housemaids service.
Tel: 00971-50-7090626, 00971-4-3713320
City Sky Maids
P.O Box:66130 No 42, Al Tayer Building Satwa,
Tel. : 04 – 3324600, Mob: 055-3324600 , 050-3757665
Website : cityskymaid.com/
Dubai Green Maids Tel: 055 202 7327 and 04386002
Flexible Maid Dubai Tel: 50 385 2177
Dubai Maids 04 8804670
Maids Dubai http://www.maidsdubai.com/
The DNRD website has up-to-date information on immigration law, sponsorship regulations and announcements for both sponsors and workers.
Enquiries hotline: 043 980 000
Customer service 24-hr line: 04 313 9999
Location: Al Jafiliya area next to Bur Dubai Police Station.
The Government of Dubai??s official website also has detailed information. www.dubai.ae