Do you have a valid driving license from some other country?? Do you want to transfer it to drive in UAE?
If yes, then it is quite easy. The countries from which citizens can transfer their driving licenses are given below:
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States. (Please call RTA on 8009090 for any changes to this list).
Driving license holders of some countries in the above list will require translations or consulate letters. These countries include:
- Canada: A letter from the Canadian Consulate in Dubai to verify that the license is genuine is required, before transferring your license.
- Greece, Canada, Cyprus, Poland, Turkey, Japan & South Korea : require a translation of their driving license from their respective consulates.
To transfer the license it is mandatory that you should
- be a citizen of the country listed above
- have current resident status in UAE
Then you are eligible to transfer your existing driving license, without having to take a driving test or going to a driving school.
Please make a note that former residents from these countries holding permanent driving license are not eligible for the conversion. They have to go through all the procedures to get a new license.
- Passport for residents (original & copy)
- Residence permit copy
- Current driving license (original & copy)
- Translation of driving license (for some countries)
- Consulate letter (for Canadians)
- 1 passport photo
- Eye test certificate
- No-objection letter from your sponsor
AED 360 – For transfer and opening a driving file
- Do an eye test at any hospital, clinic or optician. Give them 2 passport-sized photos and mention that it is for a driving license.
- Go to Dubai Traffic Department Driving License Section in Al Ghusais from 7.30 am to 2.30 pm on a working day with all the documents.
- Fill up application form & submit all documents to the officer.
- Take signed documents from officer & pay AED 360 to the cashier.
- Submit all documents at Data Entry Counter.
- Your name will be called out and your photograph taken.
- You will get your license within few minutes.
Please visit Dubai Police Website for updated changes to procedures.