Car pooling refers to multiple passengers sharing a car to reach a common destination This helps to avoid traffic rush, illegal taxis and is also a very effective means of controlling travel expenses. This is not just a taxi system, it’s more of a system wherein people who get to know each other plan and decide in advance to travel together to common points and routes. Car pooling is also an Environment friendly and sustainable method which allows several passengers to share a journey and reduce the costs incurred as well as pollution.
The Dubai Roads and Transport Authority-RTA legalized Car pooling in July 2008 and created a site www.sharekni.ae which helps drivers and passengers traveling in the same route find each other. The members have to sign up for a six-month permit to be part of the car-pooling service after which you can renew the registration free of cost. As per the RTA, the maximum number of passengers in one car is four and all their names must be listed on the permit. The word Sharekni is an Arabic word meaning ‘Share with me’. It’s commonly understood that there is no need to register relatives /close friends who travel together.
Steps for Registering as a Car Driver
- Visit the site www.sharekni.ae and register yourself as a new user.
- You will be asked to enter your email id, contacts and create a username and password.
- After entering these details and agreeing to their terms and conditions, you will have to log in to activate your account.
- The registration procedure is to be continued and you will have to supply your personal details, location and driver details.
- Other details to be given in the case of drivers include Driving license and Car number plate.
Once the registration procedures have been completed, you will receive a confirmation from the RTA, mostly through SMS. You can log into your account and search for passengers who have registered in your preferred route.
Steps for Registering as a Passenger
The steps for registration as a passenger are nearly the same
- Go to the site www.sharekni.ae to register yourself as a new user.
- Enter your email id, contacts and create a username and password.
- Go through and after agreeing to their terms and conditions, log in to activate your account.
- Fill in your personal details, location, preferred route and passenger details.
Once you have registered successfully you will receive an SMS confirmation. You can expect calls from drivers who find your route convenient. Alternatively you can also contact them and other passengers in your route.
*The RTA confirmation printout has to be kept in the car always in case of random checks from the Police Authorities. The names of all the permitted passengers are to be mentioned on that.
Advantages of Car pooling
- Reducing overall traffic congestion
- Minimize Peak hour rush
- Reduce Driving stress
- Minimize Costs including Vehicle maintenance costs, Petrol costs
- Improve parking facilities
- Increase Social contacts
- Reduce pollution and carbon dioxide emissions
- Reduce the number of cars on the road.
- Minimize illegal taxis.
- Economic and convenient for persons who do not own a vehicle.
Roads and Transport Authority P.O.Box 118899 Dubai, UAE