According to the Islamic Law, Alcohol consumption is strictly forbidden. Hence consuming alcohol in Dubai requires you to obtain your alcohol license first. An Alcohol license is a legal requirement in Dubai which gives permission to Expatriates to consume alcohol. Any person purchasing alcohol will be required to submit his alcohol license. There is a 30% tax added to all alcohol purchases made when presenting an alcohol license.
Qualifying for an alcohol license
- The applicant must be 21 years of age
- He should be a non Muslim.
- He should be a resident in Dubai.
- He should have a proper job and earn more than 3000 AED per month.
Applying for an alcohol license
You can pick up the application form from
- Maritime & Mercantile International (MMI) next to the Dubai Carrefour at Mall of the Emirates
- African & Eastern (A&E) liquor stores at Dubai Marina Walk
After filling out the form, you will have to return it to the store along with the following documents;
- Copy of passport and residence visa
- Copy of labour contract issued by the Ministry of Labour
- Photocopy of tenancy contract
- Passport size photograph
- Application fee of around AED 160
- If you are self-employed: you need a Copy of your trade license as well as proof of income each month.
Upon submission of all these above documents you will be given a receipt.
The Store will contact the Dubai Police Authorities and process the application. It may take around two weeks. When your license is ready, the store will contact you and you will have to show them your receipt upon which you will be handed over your alcohol license. The police have the authority to fix a limit on your alcohol purchase. Each license application has a monthly limit placed on alcohol purchase and ranges from 500AED upwards.The limit depend on factors like:
- Family Status
- Job Position
- Salary drawn
This license is valid for a year after which it has to be renewed. To renew the license you will have to submit a renewal application at one of the above stores and submit the following:
- Passport and Visa-Photocopies
- Your alcohol License card
- A copy of your labour contract if you have changed your previous employer.
- A copy of your new Tenancy contract if you have shifted to a new place.
The fee is around AED 150.
Important points to be noted:
- For Muslim expatriates, alcohol consumption is strictly forbidden.
- Non Muslims are allowed to consume alcohol only and if they have an alcohol license granted by the police licensing authorities in the Emirate in which they live.
- Holders of an alcohol license should keep it with themselves all the time, especially when having a Day out.
- The alcohol license allows you to purchase alcohol up to a percentage of your monthly salary, usually the limit is somewhere between 500 AED and 1500 AED per month.
- Even if you have a license, you can consume alcohol only in your home or a licensed restaurant/bar.
- You can purchase alcohol only in the Emirate in which you hold an alcohol license.
- Driving while you are drunk is strictly forbidden and there is no tolerance for that. You will have to face Imprisonment, deportation, loss of driving license etc.
- So you can use the services of Safer driver, an organization that will come and pick you and your vehicle and reach you home safely.
- Telephone +971-4-2688797
- Mobile +971-50-4888181
- Fees 100-200 AED in Dubai
- Working hours 9am-4am
- It is advisable to transport the alcohol you buy in your own vehicle and that too only to your home. Alcohol transport on the Dubai Metro is not permitted
- Drinking in Public is strictly illegal and may lead to even Prison sentences and deportation.