Cars or private vehicles are inevitable part of Dubai life. Especially for people who come there as residents or in employment visa from GCC countries, Asian countries as well European countries. In this write-up we are draw out the process and procedures of converting your licenses from your mother countries to UAE license.
All adult UAE citizens/residents after training from an authorized driving school can apply for licenses. Those who are of 18 – 21 years of age can apply for a probationary license.
Who can transfer Licenses to UAE License?
Those who are having a valid driving license from the list of countries given below can directly convert their licenses to UAE license without going to a driving school and undergoing a test. Besides having the license, you have to be a citizen of the country given below, with resident status in UAE. It doesn’t mean that the former residents of these countries who are having the driving license can go through the same process. They have to go through the process of applying for a new license.
For your information the list of countries whose license can be transferred is given below-
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States. (Please call RTA on 8009090 for any changes to this list)
Certain countries in this list may require the translation of their license or a letter from their concerned consulate as part of the process. Those countries are given below.
Canada: The applicants from Canada have to bring a letter from their consulate in Dubai confirming that their license is genuine.
Those holding license from Greece, Canada, Cyprus, Poland, Turkey, Japan & South Korea will need a translation of their license from their respective consulates.
Required documents & fees
- Copy and original of Passport is required for residents.
- Residence permit copy
- Existing driving license (original & copy)
- Translation of driving license for certain countries
- Consulate letter for Canadians
- Passport Photo 1 copy
- Eye test certificate
- AED 360 as transfer fee
- No-objection letter from the sponsor.
Step by Step procedure for converting to UAE License
- Your eye should be tested at any hospital, clinic or by an optician and a certificate attained. Two passport size photographs are required for this. Tell them this is for driving test, however, some may charge for the test.
- With all the documents mentioned above, go to the Dubai Traffic Department Driving license section at Al Ghusais from 7:30 AM to 2: 30 PM on a working day. For Ladies there is separate section, where it is faster.
- Application form should be filled and submitted to the concerned officer with all documents
- After the officer signing the documents, go to the cashier and pay AED 360.
- Next step is to submit all documents to the data entry counter.
- After this, wait for your name to be called out and photograph taken.
- Wait for a couple of minutes to get your license.
There would be changes in the procedure and to stay updated on this, visit the Dubai government update.