Travelling nowadays are no longer defined by age. You see people as young as three months to as old as in their late seventies globetrotting. There can never be a greater pleasure for expatriates to bring their elderly parents to see their workplace and the country that gives them their livelihood.
Sponsoring parents in Dubai
It is now possible for expatriates who have a valid resident visa in UAE to sponsor their parents for a year's stay by paying a refundable 5,000 Dhs deposit as guarantee for each parent. Note that a residence visa is not the same as a family UAE visit visa. The residence visa process involves two steps: First is to obtaining an entry permit and the second step is to convert the entry permit to a residence visa after parents arrive in the UAE.
The son or daughter must provide the documents to prove that they are the sole supporter of their parents and that there is no one to take care of them back home. This has to be certified by a letter from the embassy or consulate. Expatriates can sponsor their parents-in-law also in the same manner. In order to sponsor one’s parents or parents-in- laws, one should have a minimum salary of 6,000 Dhs with accommodation allowance, or minimum salary of 7,000 Dhs, if you are paying for your own accommodation. It is also a requirement that your accommodation should have at least two bedrooms.
According to the new UAE visa rules from July 2008, you cannot sponsor only one of your parents and have to sponsor your father and the mother together. If one of your parents has passed away or if they are divorced, you have to show papers to prove that to the Naturalisation and Residency Department, as justification as to why you want to sponsor only one of your parents.
Another of the visa requirements is to attain a medical insurance policy with a minimum coverage of 600 Dh each, to be renewed every year. In addition to the usual medical health check for the insurance, an HIV test is also needed before applying for the residence visa which is renewable after a year.
The 5,000 Dh guarantee deposit will be returned after the parents leave the country and the visa is cancelled or if the parent dies. If the visa is not cancelled after a year, the parents will be deemed to be illegal overstayers and will have to pay a fine.
Documents required for sponsoring Dubai residence visa for parents
- Your passport with residence visa.
- Copy of your parents passport for entry permit, original passport for residence visa.
- One photograph of each parent in the specifications provided by immigration department.
- Letter attested by your embassy to verify your relationship, and showing that you are the sole provider of the family.
- Salary certificate, or labour contract (salary needs to be specified).
- Tenancy contract, attested by the Dubai Land Department in Dubai. If the number of bedrooms is not stated, then you willl need a letter from your landlord stating the number of bedrooms.
- Application form
- Cost of parents entry permit is AED 110 (add 100 dhs for urgent applications) and typing center fees (less than 50 dhs.)
- Cost of parents residence visa is AED 110 per year (add 100 dhs for urgent applications),
- Empost fees and typing center fee.
Procedure to sponsor residence visa for parents in Dubai
- Visit the Naturalization and Residence Department of the emirate which issued you your residence visa e.g. Dubai NRD.
- Bring all documents to the DNRD and submit them. An Approval Committee will decide whether you will be allowed to sponsor your parents. This may take about 2 weeks.
- If you get the approval for sponsoring your parents, then proceed to the typing center with the approval letter and your documents, to fill in the visa application.
- Pay your fees and they will fill in the application form. Take the application form back to the DNRD If you have paid urgent processing fees, you should be issued with an entry permit (entry visa) for your parents while you wait, otherwise it should be ready in a couple of days.
- Send the entry permit or a copy to your parents. If you send the copy, you will need to deposit the original at the airport a few hours before they arrive.
- After your parents arrive, take them, or send them, to a medical clinic to do the blood test and x-ray required of all UAE expat residents.
- Bring the entry permits and original passports, the deposit receipt, another 3 photos, and all previous documentation back to the typing center of the immigration department to convert their entry permit to a residence visa. You need to do this within 60 days of their arrival (DNRD information), but is better done within 30 days.
- Your parents passports should be sent back within a week or two with the new residence visa pasted in, sooner if you pay the urgent fees.
- If your parents arrive in the UAE on another entry permit of some sort – UAE tourist visa, visit visa on arrival, or a sponsored visit visa, you might be able to transfer them to a residence visa, if you provide all the needed documentation.
- It is not necessary to depart and re-enter the UAE when changing entry permit to residence visa.
Renewal of resident visa for parents in UAE
Visit the typing center at the immigration department with your passport, your parents passports, deposit receipt, and fees (same as application fees for the first time). Get the form filled in, head over to the residency department, hand in all the documents and wait a week or two. According to Khaleej Times reports in November 2005, Abu Dhabi residents need no minimum salary to sponsor family members. Parents, brother and sister are given a visa for one year while close family members such as your spouse and children are issued a 2 year visa.